Twitter Takeaway

Friday 6 February 2009

Gingerboy


Source: www.cubeme.com


Do you believe that things are meant to be the way they are….. and sometimes you just have to go with the flow? Strangely enough this happened to me at Gingerboy.

We were asked to wait at the bar for a few moments prior as they were preparing our table.. we were pretty early… 6pm. The cocktails were lovely and potent… great for a hard day.

Then we were ushered to our table in the empty restaurant, right at the windows looking out to the laneway. The sight was really interesting, like a scene from the movie “In the Mood for Love”. I don’t usually like sitting so openly next to the windows; it makes me feel like my meal is on display. But this time, I didn’t complain, I just frowned.

It was funny to see the waiter explaining the menu to us with the hanging red tassels in his hair :) The tassels were from a jumble light fixture dominating the ceiling. The décor is rather interesting…contemporary and very vibrant. After we ordered, we sat contemplating whether we liked the décor or not.. Then as I looked out the window, I caught a familiar couple walking down the lane. It was my ex-colleague from Hong Kong, with his wife! I knocked on the glass to get their attention, and they came into the restaurant to have a chat. That was really a nice surprise! If we were sitting elsewhere, we wouldn’t have been able to see them… Our paths would have crossed but without each other knowing it…. I wonder how many times my husband and my paths have crossed in the past without each other knowing it…. It’s quite exciting to think about the possibility.

While I am writing this, I am looking back at what we ate. The two dishes that stood out in my memory were the prawn entrée and the corn cakes sides. Brilliant. The mains were interesting – sophisticated hawker style dishes… Rich but very tasty. However, sometimes too salty. I do prefer this restaurant to Ezard’s (same owner) asian-fusion. Gingerboy, brings it more back to the roots… retaining the basic Asian ingredients and adding complementary twists to the dishes.
As the night progressed, the room got noiser…more like a market and people getting happier… great atmosphere… I heartily recommend this restaurant if you like South-East Asian food….

Gingerboy Restaurant and Bar
27-29 Crossley Street
Melbourne
(03) 9662 4200

No comments: